Your customer achieving success with your product is a story worth telling.
To let prospects know about your latest innovation, they need to hear from existing customers about their experiences with your products. Those experiences can be adapted into authentic customer stories.
What is a customer story?
A customer story is essentially an engaging tale highlighting how your product and services offer a solution to the customer’s problem. The stories help prospects to relate to your product and hope to achieve similar success.
The main purpose of a customer story is to increase your credibility and motivate potential customers to take the necessary leap to purchase your product, resulting in higher conversion rates and more sales.
Different types of customer stories
There are numerous ways in which your company may choose to tell your customers stories. The format depends on how you wish to transmit your message and how much of it you want to be retained.
Let’s briefly discuss the four main types of customer stories:
- “Quote” Testimonials
A short quote from the customer describing their experience with your product and service. Used mostly in sales presentations, product pages, and any pages with a commercial purpose.
- Video Testimonials
A short video clip with the customer sharing insightful information about how the product has aided in their success. Works best embedded in the company’s website, social media accounts and product promotional videos.
- Customer Reviews
A written comment in which the customer shares their honest opinion of the product and whether they recommend it to others. Used mostly in emails to subscribers and pitch decks, as well as review websites like G2 and TrustRadius.
- Case Studies
A content piece that summarises the customer’s journey with your product, from start to finish. Found mostly in the website, product pages and company’s emails.
Who is responsible for sourcing customer stories
In a B2B SaaS, salespeople and customer success managers work alongside customer marketing managers to identify the customers who are successful in using the product and sort out the ones with valuable proof.
They will then gather the most compelling stories which will give prospects the confidence they need to choose your products which will boost trust and improve your reputation in the industry.
What are the benefits of customer stories?
Customer stories benefits are wide-ranging and can be leveraged to help the Sales, Marketing, Product & Customer teams achieve their objectives. Here are a few high-level benefits.
- Boost product confidence & credibility
- Authentic stories give customers the opportunity to share their stories of how your product has helped them overcome challenges that stood in the way of their success.
- Increased brand awareness & brand reputation
- Stories resonate with prospects on a meaningful and emotional level that stimulates positive word of mouth, which leads to increased brand awareness and reputation.
- Customer retention/Reduced churn
- By sharing stories, customers get a better insight into your products and how they can solve their problems, thereby retaining your customers and increasing their lifetime value (CLTV).
- Accelerate sales cycles and increase conversion rates.
- Customer stories boost the credibility of your products to potential buyers and help accelerate sales cycles and improve conversion rates.
- Trust is built within your community
- Prospects will trust the stories you share, as they are relatable and make your company way more approachable, thereby building trust within your community.
- Customer stories enhance your marketing campaign
- Stories sell your product and encourage prospects to engage with your company and make a purchase, which is a valuable tactic that improves your marketing campaign.
Customer stories in B2B SaaS help demonstrate how valuable the product/service is to prospects and elevates the brand. This leads to increased sales and a boost to brand awareness & brand reputation.